UPNA June Meetings
Monday June 13th
UPNA Board Meeting
Attendees: Ana Tomblin, Paul Maresh, Brian Oylear, Shelley Oylear,
Karen Lindquist, Scott Mizee
Called to order: 7:11pm
- Changing the format of the Chair’s meetings to be less formal.
Focus on getting to know the other Chairs shared the issues they are
interested in so you know who to go to. Can bring another member of the
board with them to get to know the people. To help build up
communication because we don’t have a coalition it helps to know who
has experience or interest in certain areas or issues.
- Q – any thoughts on creating a coalition? Some of the other ones
are to political or have issues (the chair can vote separately from the
neighborhood association) so they are not really focusing on this now.
Chairs feel it is important to be representative of the neighborhoods
and a coalition does not necessarily lend itself to that. This way
members can collaborate on issues.
- Q – past concern that non neighborhood associations could be a
part of the coalition. Have not heard that this is possible. The
current goal is to do this informally. So that the neighborhood groups
can band together on issues.
- Ice Cream social on August 2nd. We need to get together to start
planning this. Tried to reserve the park but was unable to answer a
question – would we need to have cars or vehicles in the park? If we
did there would be a fee for this. Discussion – don’t feel this is
necessary, we should be able to carry items.
- Shelley – the church would like to help out with the event.
Perhaps we could ask to borrow tables and chairs.
- Plan on a day to meet? 3rd Monday is good (next Monday). Shelley
and Ana can meet then. We’ll call Fletcher to let him know.
- Times for the park? 4-10 for setup and clean up times.
- Think of people to invite to the event?
- RFP – (Brian) highlight: submit proposals to ONI office, set
deadline for Friday July 29th, will be there that day to collect
submissions, will bring them to the ice cream social and ask for votes.
The top 3 selections are brought to the next board meeting for a final
vote. The award is set currently for $200 winner, $100 runner up and
3rd has gift certificates. Can adjust the amounts depending on our
incoming money. ONI said that they could donate 6hours of the Kenton
Firehouse for an artists show. The expectations are clear up front so
that we do not have to create contracts with the winner(s). Also let
Artists on the Peninsula know.
- Time for the Ice Cream social – 5-9pm.
- Also possible to have “fund raising” at the event as long as it’s
not so large that it would attract people from outside the
neighborhood. A raffle is a good example.
Land Use: Nothing much in our neighborhood.
- Need someone to help coordinate Friends of Trees planting in the
Fall (only for University Park neighborhood). Would get phone calls,
organize who gets what tree (and call it in) and ask neighborhoods for
volunteers. The previous person is not able to do it. Will announce it
at the next meeting but if we know anyone. Suggestion for next PIR
money (grants) to be able to pay someone to be the coordinator.
Service / Transportation / Livability:
- Jeffery Rook (a safety officer at UP). Said that the University
is still going forward with FlexCar. Was asking UPNA to write a letter
of support for FlexCar. Were the neighbors going to be able to use it?
Would make that clear in the letter that we would like to use it also.
Scott will write the letter.
- Brian – had a message for you – concern from a neighbor that the
alleys need to be cleaned up (instead of spending money on the ice
cream social). Had given the email to Fletcher to send to you (Scott).
- Shelley – ran into Lenny and got a copy of the Trail plan for the
bluff. Paul – suggest Shelley bring this up at the next Chair’s meeting
(that he thinks their should be a light on Willamette Blvd.). Shelley –
some of the chairs are very concerned about his plans. But we don’t
know what has been going on to make sure that the neighborhood be
involved. We need to find out who the contact is at the City. Lenny
comes across as the plan has already been accepted but it has not and
we need to make sure we’re involved and that there is a real process.
We need to be clear on the 2 different plans – the Swan Island
pedestrian / trail plan and the North Portland Greenway Plan. We are
more concerned with the plan to add trails and traffic issues on
Willamette. Scott – money was allocated for the trail from Willamette
down to Swan Island with the train crossing bridge. Get in touch with
Pam to get specifics on who is working on it (at the city) and where
the funding is coming from. Shelley will track down who at the city
will be reviewing the bluff trail and any changes to Willamette so we
can still be in the loop.
- Don’t have a person for this. Shelley – trying to change the time
Com. Madison meets with everyone (not be at 9-10am). Someone has
volunteered for a position but we recommended they attend meetings
Old Business: none
- Have continued to be in touch with Phil Engle but have not gotten
a response from John Walden. Continuing to work with the parks dept.
There was past concern from John about liability if the assessment
determines the play structure is not safe but they are unable to
upgrade it. But we have not heard anything from here for sure.
- Shelley – North Portland has a lot of bike accidents that involve
kids. Try to get Phil involved in this? Perhaps have bike safety
workshops or give away helmets. The city is working on the survey /
maps of problem areas / intersections. Eventually we could have them
come to talk to us in the future (this fall). Brian will contact Phil
Brian motions to adjourn. Shelley seconds. All in favor.
- Ideas for speakers for meetings:
- June: Columbia Slough Watershed Council presentation (Nick
- PDC wants to make presentations on a variety of topics (we can
choose the topic). Paul is concerned that they are a little 1-sided,
perhaps have another group come as well.
- Urban Forestry, perhaps in the fall before tree trimming times.
Decided on Sept.
- Port of Portland / EPA– Portland Harbor update this summer.
Decided on Aug 22nd General Meeting.
- Tour of McCormick and Baxter (DEQ)– plan for Aug. 8th instead
of Board meeting, could have people sign up at the Ice Cream event. Ask
them to have a table at the event.
- There has been an interest in someone from Roosevelt to come
and give us an update. Perhaps in July.
- In the fall – will have requests from candidates. Shelley –
tell them the Board has to decide who will come to meetings. Also would
prefer it was more of a forum with multiple candidates so that it is
- The Mayor has planned to come to each neighborhood and walk the
neighborhood with us to get to know the neighborhood and some of the
local issues. Perhaps we can have him come in July.
- The Oregonian now has a staff person assigned for North and
Northeast Portland to focus on neighborhood issues. Got ideas from the
Chairs meeting about people living here for many generations. If we
have ideas we have someone to contact.
- Added a Nature section to the Community section of the website
with a page of heritage trees, birds and other animals.